Song of My Coffee

This morning as I sat drinking some coffee, I was inspired to write a poem. Here is what came forth:

Song of My Coffee

On the counter near the mixer
Brews my magic brown elixir
Whence my early vigor comes
And my ever-nightly Tums.

It is a true and constant friend
In sickness, health, or on the mend
From germ or woe or being bludgeoned;
It quickens me with scent so pungent.

And should you think that it were fate
That man and brew should thus relate?
Indeed - for 'twas not I that chose -
'Tis Java has me in its throes.

For once upon a glacier frozen
There were but me and some old crows, in
Britain's north, the land of Scots,
Banished from King Arthur's thoughts.

Yes, I was naught but errant knight
Who lost a killer-rabbit fight.
With failure grim I left the court,
My shame unable to support.

I found my way to snow and ice,
Mostly for to kill the lice
That grew upon my head like mold
(Thank God they cannot take the cold!).

So there I sat and contemplated
How grand to be defenestrated,
When what should sudden catch my ear -
An angel singing loud and clear:

"The best part of waking up
Is full chores in your cup."

Though voice and tune had me astounded,
The message left me twice confounded,
For chores were not my cup of tea,
Especially in hours wee.

Alighted near, the heav'nly being
As I, afraid, considered fleeing
Into a sharp and deep crevass,
But life would surely be my loss.

"Fear not," quoth she with solemn glee,
"For I bring full chores here with me!"
"Nay," says I. "I'd rather die
"Then live with full chores piled high!"

And so she flew, my chance of hope,
As I sat down to sigh and mope,
When what should fate but bring me luck:
I saw a golden glowing buck!

It seemed to beckon as I gazed
For me to follow through the haze.
It strode away toward icy peaks
While 'neath its foot sprung brownish creeks.

And then it turned and said "Behold!"
And saw I there a thousand fold,
A host of shining bucks of gold
There on a northern glacier cold.

Then all the creeks did join to one
And all the bucks began to run -
Beyond the tips of mountains far
They came together as a star.

Turning to the river I,
With joyful heart and eager eye,
Drank my fill of beverage free
And knew to call its name "coffee."

Lifting up my head to heaven,
Thankful for a gift so given,
I saw a star, a sign of luck,
And named it thus, the Star of Bucks.

Thus the denouement draws nigh:
Java found me, not Java I.
So now when I of coffee think,
'Tis to the Star of Bucks I drink.

0 comments: