Dragons

Commercials are an interesting part of our culture. Those of us who care nothing for the NFL (college rocks) still watch the Super Bowl just to see what Budweiser will come up with. In my opinion, the commercials are often better than the game. But sometimes you find a gem of an ad watching something other than the Super Bowl.

This happened for me not too long ago. I was innocently watching some nerdy program no doubt, when I was suddenly rapt by drama and excitement of the highest order. The Mac Daddy of all commercials had finally been produced.

Since the commercial is inexplicably absent from Youtube and the rest of the internet as far as I can tell, I will describe the commercial for you. It should not surprise you that the commercial is for Gerber Graduates, food for toddlers. They have always had splendid ads. (And they make food that looks cool, tastes awesome, and is nutritious to boot!)

Basically, a 2-3 year old fellow, who I shall refer to as Henry, has captured a dragon (his mom) and imprisoned her in a cage of couch cushions with little more than brute strength and a tin foil sword. But, alas, it is lunch time! How ever will Henry eat if he must guard a dangerous dragon?!?! Whatever will become of the fair peasants whom Henry guards?? The suspense is so intense!!! !! !

Henry has the perfect solution: "You're freeeee dragon! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly!"

I never would have thought of it myself. But Henry knew his adversary, and he knew that the perfect way to eat lunch, was to free the dragon. It worked like a charm. Three year olds always know what to do.

The first time I saw the commercial, I had many reactions to it, all of them good. My gut reaction was laughter, of course, as it is quite comical. But then I realized that the little boy had done what I always wanted to do - he had purposefully released a dangerous creature, knowing its heart was good all along. He realized that dragons have feelings too and set it free to revel in its power and mystique. He was the quintessential knight, upright and just.

Now I'm sure the line was scripted, and I'm sure the shot that made it to TV was the 319th take (I can just imagine the producers: "Alright Henry, just hold that 'freeee' a little longer - and why don't you wave the sword around too? No, Henry, you cannot have another popsicle until you finish the commercial!"), but the line was right in sync with the ways of the young. It is just like them to have a keen insight into life at the perfect moment, or to ask the question you have always intended to ask but never did.

I identify with the little guy; I've always wanted to free the dragon but I'm afraid it will eat me. Now I know dragons just want to be free and fly. So next time I'll free the dragon.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the next development in food for toddlers.

For my favorite dragon, click here.
For some funny kid quotes, click here.

0 comments: