History and Truth

History gets a bad rap. Historians these days so often encase the most fabulous of stories in the drabbest apparel possible. I believe history serves two important functions primarily: to inspire us to love who we are and to prevent us from committing the same mistakes repeatedly. Our prior days would easily succeed at these two outcomes if historians hadn’t gone to pot and the public ceased to study the subject with any intent. I have never been less enthralled by any books than by the history textbooks I was forced to consume as a high schooler. Even Hemingway, whom I abhor, could not come close to the hellish experience of wading through The Enduring Vision, my US history textbook, and the book dubbed Gertrude and Bartholomew (actually, I don’t recall the two authors’ names, so these will have to suffice) by my European history class. I have nothing against the teachers of those classes, in fact, I rather enjoyed them. But the textbooks – complete refuse. Somehow they were justified by the breadth of information made available compared to other texts. But I say, bother the dates of so-and-so’s death. If I don’t lift my eyes from the textbook feeling the importance of my own history deep in my innards, but rather let my eyelids fall in stupefied slumber and drool proceed freely from my lips because of the utter boredom cast upon me, then the book is a failure, and the author should never again be consulted.

You see, harsh though I may seem, I absolutely love history, but I was never firmly sure of this truth until I encountered historians who were willing to add a bit of opinion to their interpretations without fear of scorn. History has become so wrapped up in unbiasedness that no one is willing to make a judgment or offer deeper significance to any event. In my opinion, it is the historian’s job to offer a pattern behind history, a logical series of events that explain why things happened, not just that they happened. It should then be the duty of the reader (or professor) to assess the validity of that historian’s interpretation. And the history should be interpreted in such a way that it can be applied to the present. For as we know, those who are ignorant of the past are doomed to repeat it.

Historians today seem to think it is good to prattle on endlessly about the common man, the everyday happenings of the peasants. Forgive me, but that is so unspeakably boring – how can anyone expect to catch the interest of a young boy with talk of the attire of a tanner in Plymouth? They want stories of war and glory, of adventure and triumph, even of loss and despair. But they simply don’t care about how many ounces of bread the average man ate daily in 1702. There’s a reason myths and fairy tales from ages past are still around, and there’s a reason why they still apply to current situations. History bears equally enthralling stories and applicable lessons if only we would teach them. All this nonsense about everyone’s perspective being equally valid has sucked the merit out of history. Truth is there, but it must be sought out and applied. That is why I love historians who are willing to offer their take on a situation, even if it is dead wrong, and actually believe what they say without shame. If they are wrong, and are proven so, I believe they would recognize their failure.

Here is an example of what I mean. Suppose I were to say the following, “Just as Christians killed countless ‘heretics’ before the Reformation took hold and slowly led to more peaceful sects and the resolution of doctrinal issues with fewer deaths, so Islam needs a reformation to end its violent sectarian nature.” Whether I am right or wrong, I am still opinionated and I am actively seeking truth. If instead I add the tag “but you may disagree; what is good for you is good for you,” then I have forsaken history. History is meant to be interpreted, and there are correct interpretations as well as false ones. But it is better to take an incorrect stance and willingly accept correction than it is to take no stance at all. At least if you take a stance you encourage others to find fault in it so that by and by your stance is honed and refined into something truly meritorious. If you allow for the correctness of all vantage points, no progress is ever made and you are left ignorant. Indeed, anyone would admit that it is foolish to say that 2+2=4 but that you may have your own equally correct opinion on the matter. People believing 2+2=5 need correction, not tolerance. I would rather be wrong from time to time taking an intellectual stand for something I hold true than fail to encourage inspection of truth by my fellow man; I do not want a society full of people willing to tolerate lies as relative truth.

Michael Ramsden, a smart fellow, quoted some other smart fellow about truth and it went something like this: if someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, he is asking you not to believe him, so don’t. Obviously that first clause cannot be ‘true’ if there is no such thing as truth, so there must be truth.

I am currently reading Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West, a sort of historical and cultural inspection of the Balkans via travelogue. It was written just as World War II was breaking out and West’s distaste for the Germans as a result is evident. Some believe that her bias taints her work too much to be considered good history. Although I have not read the entire work yet, her perception and understanding of history’s impact on the present is astounding and clear, and I much admire it. This is how history should be. It connects Balkan history back to Roman times and shows the clear sequence of events leading to current culture and attitudes. And what I especially enjoy is that she is very matter of fact: one event led to another, combined with another event, and voilĂ , a plausible reason why we have the current situation. She doesn’t beat around the bush or pander to her rivals; she clearly states her opinion as fact and moves on. It is clear that she would change her mind if you offered sufficient evidence to the contrary, but given the available information, she forms a blatant hypothesis and offers it in the face of all naysayers. This is the sort of history that inspires and the sort of writing that encourages others to find truth rather than admit all suggestions as reasonable. While all men are created equal, all ideas are not.

I would feel insufficient if I did not conclude with an equally direct statement. Thus, I will be clear. There is absolute truth. Regarding all truth as relative is an excuse to hide behind, an unwillingness to search and learn, an extreme laziness of mind. It is much easier to say everyone is equally right, and that’s why so many people do it. But it is simply ridiculous to say so and it yields nothing good. If all truth is relative, then how is it that Hitler or Stalin were wrong? It also seems that the relativists often have strong political leanings, but how is any politician better than another if there is no truth? It is all absurdity. Don’t fall for it. Have an opinion.

5 comments:

pedauque said...

Questions!:
Do you think man can know absolute truth? Since absolute truth is by definition infinite and man is obviously finite?
Isn't there value in letting the average person know that they get more food than the average man in 1702 did? So that they can asses whether or not they are grateful to live in this era rather than a former one?
How much should intentions count in actions? I mean, Hitler was a bit extreme (understatement!), but what if he really thought he was doing the right/righteous thing? Or even your average, everyday, insulting street pastor? They think they are doing right--they think they have no choice, in fact. So are they right or wrong?
What about Job? or Oedipus? Both were given bad, bad situations to live through (understatement #2), but without any seeming reason or choice. Was Job wrong for holding onto his righteousness, even though he was righteous? Was Oedipus in the wrong? Even though he had good intentions and no apparent choice? It was in preventing the prophesy of marrying his mother/killing his father coming true that he fell into it--he was trying to do the right thing...
:-) I heart questions!

danielwaldroup said...

"Gertrude and Bartholemew," if I am not mistaken, was Palmer and Colton, a book which I remember as being fairly well written, if a bit dry. For American history textbooks, you might want to check out "The American Pageant," which is, gasp, fairly engagingly written.

To respond to some of the questions posed by pedauque, here are my opinions.

1) "Do you think man can know absolute truth?" My answer: Not absolutely (in other words, not all of it and not perfectly given that we are, as pedauque notes, limited), but in part.
2) "Isn't there value in letting the average person know that they get more food than the average man in 1702 did?" My answer: yes.
3) "How much should intentions count in actions? I mean, Hitler was a bit extreme (understatement!), but what if he really thought he was doing the right/righteous thing?" My answer: Who cares if Hitler thought he was right/righteous? He clearly wasn't. Are we supposed to cut him some slack because he may have been misguided (which I doubt, seems to me he was just evil)? Absolutely not -- I agree with JP here; if he was a punk historians ought to say as much, not try to explain away or excuse his actions with some wishy-washy post-modernist psychological navel gazing. As far as pedauque's comments about Job and Oedipus, I have no idea what is being said, so I'm not even going to try to respond.

pedauque said...

Hi, Daniel! How are you?

To defend my example of Hitler: Obviously the product of his actions far outweighed his intentions, but my point is often people's actions are honestly intended for good--what I wonder is where is the value of their intentions? Hitler is a bad example, but obnoxious street preachers aren't. I honestly think they do more harm than good (though I might be wrong), yet I feel conflicted because they do think they are doing right. Should I pity them? Or should I forget their intentions and focus on the harm of their actions?

Job and Oedipus are good examples of the conflict of intentions vs. actions. Oedipus did everything extremely wrong while attempting to do everything right--his conscience actions are those of a good man/king, but marrying your mother and killing your father are not good things to do. The question is was he actually wrong? Given his intentions were good and his only mistake was not knowing who his parents really were?

Job, by insisting on his righteousness, was essentially accusing God (typically considered infallible) of being wrong. In the end, he is reprimanded--but he is restored to better than his previous position. Insisting on your righteousness is usually considered a bad thing to do when you are apparently being punished for something--as Job's friends tell him. His intentions would usually considered bad, selfish, yet his is left off light--given a better position.

That might still be unclear--but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

:-)
Suzannah

danielwaldroup said...

Hey Suzannah! I'm doing well -- how are you?

I think I better understand what you were asking now. And I sympathize with your position; it is hard not to feel a little bit sorry for misguided people. Indeed, it is probably a good thing that we do. In terms of judging people based on their intentions, I think one of the hard things sometimes is to really know what people's intentions are. "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9?)" Sometimes we don't even know our own motivations, how much more difficult to discern those of other people. But if we could (can?) know intentions, I guess you're right -- we should maybe cut people some slack. Certainly our justice system seems to feel this is the fair thing to do, since the severity of the sentence is often linked to the circumstances under which the crime is committed. The sentence someone gets for murder depends a lot upon what degree of murder it was. Additionally, according to my limited understanding of scripture, it seems to me that God judges us according to the degree of our knowledge and the motives of our hearts, not just on outward appearances/actions. Point conceded.

I guess my concern with the Hitler example is that he was clearly evil and it seems to me that everyone knows better than to do what he did. The intentions argument doesn't apply to him so much, I don't think, because some moral decrees are written on the human heart, and he broke just about every one of them. I think it would be fallacious to argue that his intentions were really good. If Hitler himself thought he was doing good, it was only because he had so warped his own conscience that he could no longer see the difference between good and evil.

As for Oedipus, my Greek mythology is pretty weak, so I'm going to take a pass on his case. I don't know if I would say that Job was "accusing" God, though maybe his friends thought so. He was merely maintaining his righteousness. Seems to me that Job's friends saw this as an accusation of God because they held the flawed view that God is obligated to immediately bless good behaviour. Since Job was not experiencing the blessing of God (by their definition), clearly he must have done something wrong. The friends were wrong because God never promises that everything will always be sunshiny and happy in the short term -- only that He will always be with His children and that the eternal rewards of following Him far outweigh the costs. That's my take on it anyway. What are your thoughts?

pedauque said...

I am doing decently :-)

I can't decide about intentions, honestly. Intentions are messy. Madeline L'Engle has Charles Wallace tell Calvin that "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" in A Wrinkle In Time. That saying is pretty common, and that isn't where it is from, but I've never forgotten it for some reason. I don't even really believe in Hell, but the saying has always been in the back of my mind...

I'd like for intentions to count--I'd like to give people more of a benefit of a doubt. But, then there are those extremes... This is were it would be nice to know (be able to grasp) whole absolutes--to know what is right and to know what is wrong--but, we are not infinite, thus we cannot apply infinite concepts to our own actions. Not effectively, anyways, we always can find an exception.

You should read Oedipus Rex by Sophocles. You can find it in translation in tons of places--that is the particular Oedipus story I'm referencing. The question of where man begins and the gods end is, I think, rather reflective of Job's questions. Job reads like a Greek tragedy, which is another reason I almost always pair them. I have a theory that before Job was written down, it was preformed like a tragedy.

As for the interpretation of Job: I think it is rather scary that Job loses everything based on what essentially seems to be a bet between God and Satan. Why was Satan in Heaven chatting anyways? Job does actively defend his righteousness against his friends' accusations of having done wrong to deserve such woe. But, his friends' soliloquies, taken on their own, reflect commonly considered truths about God and God's character. They are defending God letting Job's life going down the drain. It is confusing. In the end, Job's friends are told to sacrifice in Job's honor (as an apology, I think), suggesting that their suggestions of his unrighteousness was not the appropriate action. But, Job also is told to sacrifice (which also seems to me to be apologetic) to God for what falsities he said about God's actions. Yet, Job never seemed to me to say anything wrong. You could argue that Satan did everything, so God is innocent of any injustices, but God did approve of the actions and, once again, what was Satan doing in Heaven to begin with?

So, I don't know and I'm too cowardly to commit to an answer. The size of the questions in Job are such that I think they don't need an answer--they are weighty enough on their own.

You are still supposed to call me if ever you come to Athens! :-) The students treating you well?